It's called a coffee crunch cake--angel food cake layered with whipped cream and these coffee crunches on the outside. The crunchies were fun to make--essentially, you boil sugar until the hardcrack stage and throw in some baking powder. The sugar foams up and when it hardens, you've got this odd, honey-combed candy. A DIY crunchie bar, kinda like this one! Good stuff.
So the end-of-year countdown is on! Two and a half weeks until I'm officially done and gradumikated from culinary school!
Here's a look at my to-do list for the next few weeks:
Finish futzing with portfolio picturesHA! One down!
- Put pictures in photo album and be dun wit it
- Keep experimenting with dessert gnocci (my original recipe for one of our finals. More on this later!)
- Make flashcards for American cuisine
- Make flashcards for Asian cuisine
- Memorize things
- Bid my roommate farewell on Saturday. Sniff sniff. (Don't be too sad--she's moving back to California--where it's sunny? all the time? huh?--and also just happens to be going to Hawaii for vacation next week.)
- Say "Hello! I love you! Hi!" to the Engineer who is MOVING IN on Saturday (wooHOO!)
- Iron my red polka-dot dress
- Wear said dress to my friend's wedding next week (Thumbs up, Kate and Adam!)
- A photo album
- Photo corners
- Teacup and saucer (for original recipe)
- Butane cartridges for creme brulee torch (for original recipe...aren't you getting curious!)
- Coffee grinder (cuz my roomie's taking hers with her and I am bereft)
- Candy thermometer
- Plants for container garden before summer is suddenly over